Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A new outlook in New Orleans

Well, needless to say, this past week has been a hard one.  I feel like my world has shattered.  Being told that we will never have our own children (other than an act of God)  was really hard to hear, to digest, to internalize.  My heart is broken in a way that many of you will never be able to understand.  I can't even put it into words.

BUT, God is great!  He knew my heart would be hurting!  He knew my friend Cassie would need a friend to ride with her to New Orleans as she moved there for schooling (Grad school at Tulane).  So, my heart was broke on Monday, and on Thursday I was headed on a road trip.  It was a great trip! 

We stopped overnight in Nashville, Tennessee the first night.  Then headed on to New Orleans, Louisiana.  The air in Minnie Pearl (Cassie's car) quit working in Alabama so we rode the rest of the way drenched in sweat.  We got a good laugh out of it though. 

Our backs were drenched in sweat!

We moved Cassie into her new apartment in the pouring rain on Saturday morning. 
                                                                WE ARE DRENCHED!

We then spent the rest of the day wandering the french quarter, enjoying cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe Du Monde, and touring Bourbon Street.  We then headed uptown to Jaques-Imos for what is said to be the best Cajun food in New Orleans.  The wait there was 2 hours.  While we were waiting outside a crowd was gathering.  We started to notice that many of them were in costume.  WHY?  We had stumbled on to Mid Summer Mardi Gras!!!  We ended up sticking around to watch the parade! 

I have many more pictures but most of them aren't appropriate!  It was a great show though!

Anyhow, after a great trip I am home and back to work (more on THAT subject but I will tell you in person.) 
D and I are starting the classes to become a foster home in October.  I take the first "class" next Thursday.  This will be a big change for us.  We will need to purchase all of the things that one would usually receive at a baby shower ourselves so if any of you know of places to get good deals or know of someone who is looking to sell baby clothes, furniture, etc for cheap please let me know.

Yes, I am willing to open my home to foster children.  But the thought still bothers me that while I may have a child thru fostering or adopting, I will never feel a baby kick inside of me.  I will never get to see my child on the ultrasound screen or hear its heartbeat.  I will never get to have a baby shower or have the excitement of meeting my child for the first time.  I know God has another plan for me, and I accept that, but it doesn't make it any easier in reality.  I know that this will pass and someday I will look back at my situation and know that things turned out exactly as they should have.  Until then, I'll just keep focusing on Him!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so sorry about your loss. I will continue to pray for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dustin and Mandi,
    I just finished praying for you. I am so sorry for the great pain you are enduring. I prayed for words to write in this response. What came to me, was a verse I read this morning as I was reading Psalm 17. Verse 15 is beautiful. It says, As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. Mandi and Dustin, continue to look up, just like you are doing. I know God will carry you through these trials. Just think, someday this will all be gone. And you will behold His face. And you will be satisfied beyond any satisfaction you could ever imagine here on earth.
    I love you and I will continue remembering you in prayer.
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...Yes it was the conch house and it is in St. augustine. We would love for you to stop here anytime. We are thinking of you and Dustin often. We are praying for your strength as well. Love ya and miss you so much!!

    ReplyDelete