Thursday, October 21, 2010

Who's kids are these?

Dustin and I are in the process of becoming foster parents in the state of Indiana.  We have attended the first required class and are now working on the MOUNTAIN of paperwork that has to be done!  I am looking forward to this next step in our lives and am praying that it is a stretching and strengthing experience for us both! 

As a couple, we seem to have collected a bunch of extra items in our house.  We moved to this small ranch from a HUGE farm house so we have two bedrooms full of extras.  One of the biggest challenges to preparing our home for a child (or hopefully two children) is that we now have to figure out where all the extra items are going.  We have looked into a storage unit (expensive and items often come our worse for wear) and have asked various family membors to keep some of the items (couch, dinning room chairs, etc.)  We will figure it out, Im sure.  But for now, it's a challenge weighing on our hearts. 

Once we have those two bedrooms empty, we get to turn around and fill them up again.  This is the part that makes me ANGRY!  I know I shouldn't feel this way, which brings on the guilt, but I really do and Im not going to lie about it.  If I had a normal reproductive system, and were pregnant with a child, my friends and family would host a baby shower for the baby.  They would provide us with some of the items that are necessary for raising a small child in the home.  BUT, because I cannot have children, and instead am opening my home to other children who need help, I will have to go out and purchase these items myself. 

This makes me angry/sad because we cannot afford brand new items and so will be begging everyone we know that has children to borrow or sell their items they do not need any longer.  It saddens me to think that these kids will not get the nice new items that other children would get.  I'm sad that I cannot provide that for them like I could for my own child.  However, I know that many used items are still in good condition and we will SINCERELY THANK anyone who has items to spare for us!  We have to have our entire home kitted out ready for children before our homestudy.  If anyone has items to sell (or lend) or know of someone who does....or even of good garage sales coming up, please let me know!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can't end on a low note so I will leave you with this silly picture just to make you smile! 
THE END!

Now, how can you look at those two goofy heineys and now smile!?!

3 comments:

  1. Mandy-
    What kinds of things do you need? Do you know the ages of the kids yet? If you're interested, I would love to host a shower for you~ we could do it soon, so your house will be prepared for home visits, or we could do it once you know the ages of the kids...e-mail me privately and we can discuss...emilyjnussbaum@gmail.com
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I have a crib you are more than welcome to have if you need one. I don't have a mattress though for it. It's 12 1/2 years old and been used for both of my girls. It has a few scratches on it from when Andy moved it back here for Calli. It's just hiding under Calli's bed now and I'm never going to need it again. Let me know if you'd like to have it.

    Jill Clark
    JilliWilli1272@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, Thanks! I just may take you up on that! I'll keep you posted! Em, I will email you here in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the offer! Mandi

    ReplyDelete